There’s a lot of talking about SEO or Search Engine Optimization on the Net.
And we add our share to the topic on this blog.
Yet, probably because the SEO basics are so obvious to the skilled marketers, many others ask themselves what the heck SEO exactly means.
That’s why Sally M of EatBreatheBlog.com has written today’s guest post about 10 easy steps to seo your website in no-time.
So, if you’re not familiar with SEO or don’t know how to apply it to your site, listen up.
Here goes Sally!
How to Set Up SEO on Your Website
Have you seen the word SEO thrown around, but aren’t sure what it means?
SEO stands for search engine optimization.
It’s a way for your potential clients to find you by using keywords. Those same keywords you use in the text on your website. For example, if you are an intellectual property attorney, you want to people to find you when they search for that phrase on Google, Yahoo or Bing.
But, how do you set up your website with SEO?
You’ve seen many articles, blog posts, even tutorials telling you about the term, but none of them tell you how to do it.
That’s why I put together this how-to so you can follow along and finally set up SEO on your website. This is the easiest, free way to set up SEO, no extra software needed.
- Make a list of your website pages.
Think about what each page represents whether it’s a product, program or service. Think about how what problem your potential customer wants to solve. Make a list or mind map potential phrases they type into search engines to seek the resolution for their problem. Jot down about five different phrases per page on your website.
- Go to Google’s Keyword Tool.
- Type one phrase from the list you made into the keyword tool.
- Enter the characters to prove you aren’t a bot.
- Go to match types on the left hand side of the screen.
Select [Exact] and uncheck broad. You can also select “Phrase.” Broad match returns a search with any of the words used, but doesn’t give the whole context for what the person was searching for. Exact returns a search with the keywords listed just as you use them and phrase has the same keywords, but they aren’t in order.
Click the global monthly searches to arrange the traffic levels from highest to lowest.
Since the aim is to set up SEO to list in the search engines, you want high traffic. You can check competition, but don’t place too much importance on it because if you produce good content, you can rise in the search engines and place on the first page.
- Pick up to three keywords with high traffic that describe the page.
If you want to use the rest of the phrases you wrote, enter those in the keyword tool also until you find the right three keywords to use for each webpage.
- Use your keywords in the body of your website text.
Use these keywords at least four times or at a density of two percent.
- Use the keywords in the title and description.
One good plugin to use is All-In-One to add the keywords to the title and description.
- Write your keywords naturally in a short sentence for the title and description.
Alternatively, you can type in the keywords and use the pipe symbol to separate them. If you aren’t sure how to type in the pipe symbol, just press Shift+.
Now that you have your SEO set up for your website, it’ll take about a week or two before you start seeing results.
Tell us how you seo your website in the comments.
We’d love to hear from you.
Share this post using these icons:
- Improve Your Local Citations with 8 Easy Tips
- Top 7 SEO Tips from Richard Branson
- Make Money With Online Local Business Directories
- 10 SEO Tips for E-Commerce Sites
- Why Free Traffic Generation Has Become Easier
- Search Engine Optimization How To Webinar
- A 2014 Guide to Create Content with Keyword Research
- Top Tips for Finding Keywords and Perfecting Keyword Density
- Increase Your Success Rate in the Search Engine Optimization
- Shield Privacy from Bots & Put the ‘Wall Up’ with Robots.txt