Presskits are hot these days as a way to get general exposure. Even bloggers use them frequently.
While it’s a great way to attract sponsors, only few people know how to handle presskits well.
Lior Levin knows how to do just that and that’s why I publish his guest post today.
If you want to attract money to your blog, listen up.
Read this carefully and land some sponsors!
Presskits for Bloggers – the Pro’s and the Con’s
From large corporations to politicians, actors and musicians, everyone has presskits and that includes bloggers nowadays as well.
Presskits or media kits, as they are also referred to, are sales tools meant to give potential sponsors the opportunity to learn more about the person, company or blog.
Presskits should let sponsors know more about you and your blog.
It gives them all the information that may not be readily apparent on your blog and is a great opportunity for a sponsor to decide whether or not your blog is a good fit for their ad campaign.
There is an art to creating a great media kit that will entice advertisers and it’s not as simple as it seems.
Darren Rowse at Problogger offers some great advice on creating effective press kits.
However, as with anything, blogger presskits do not represent any guarantee of success. In some cases it will be highly effective, while in others it will seem too impersonal and can backfire.
The Pros of Putting Together Blogger PressKits
- With presskits, advertisers can avoid surprises because they will know exactly what to expect. Your presskits will give them the information to determine whether or not your blog will be a good fit for their ad campaign. Eliminating surprises is not a bad thing, especially when it saves money.
- Presskits are also a great way to establish a powerful brand. Remember that a media kit is meant to be used as a selling tool so you have to sell yourself. And be extremely loud about it. You want to make sure everyone knows how great you are.
- Using presskits means you can approach advertisers directly and won’t be forced into agreeing with whatever agency is representing you. You can charge whatever you want without having to deal with all the problems a third party would cause.
- Having presskits is also gratifying. There’s nothing like seeing the contents of your blog summarized in a few lines, especially after you’ve been working on it for a few years. You’ll be able to show off all your hard work.
Photo Credit: sskennel
The Cons of Blogger PressKits
- Blogger presskits need to be updated regularly. There’s nothing worse than trying to sell an idea to a sponsor when all your metrics like Alexa score, mozRank and so on are a year old. So, be prepared, update regularly and be ready to print it in a few seconds, at the most.
- It is important that your presskits show that you are flexible in terms of pricing. Many prospects have been lost because they believed the pricing was set in stone, which is something that will frighten most advertisers away.
- Cookie-cutter emails never work, no matter who tells you differently. You’ll never get anywhere if you are using the same cookie-cutter email – that is terrible by the way – to attract advertisers. By being impersonal you are essentially showing them you don’t really care about their business, which is certainly the wrong move if you are looking for someone to advertise on your blog.
- Presskits aren’t exactly conducive to productivity, especially when you’re on the receiving end of these kits. You sit there, opening presskits one after the other, spending huge amounts of time on them only to learn the blog in question isn’t suitable for your needs, so you’re back to square one, after having wasted a ton of time.
There are both positives and negatives to having blogger presskits but it is important to remember that the kit itself won’t determine whether or not you make it.
That’s in your hands alone. Presskits can be modified to suit the occasion but the more time you spend on it, the more work you put into creating the presskits, the better your results will be.
What about you?
Do you use presskits?
Post your comments below.
Share this post using these icons:
- Ultimate Blogging SEO Tips for the Year 2014
- Use of wordpress for empowering education sectors.
- How To Benefit From Guest Posting In The Long Run
- 8 Simple Ways To Create Blogs In Order To Suit Customers
- 10 Blog Carnival Benefits That You Can Profit From
- 5 Guest Blogging Benefits You Cannot Afford to Miss
- Want to Stand Out? Avoid these Blog Post Ideas
- Is Your Company Blog Leaking Oil?
- 4 Twists to Strengthen Relationships With Blog Readers
- How to Write an Effective Blog – 6 Surefire Ways